Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Proofing?

Proofing verb: To sit in a warm place for several hours. (i.e. the dough is proofing before it is baked.)

I just got back from vacationing in my parent's cabin in Northern Arizona and I've spent the last couple days proofing. It's not because I got into too much gluten and my gut is fermenting. I think I have a case of post vacation depression, as my friend Kristi put it.  I have two classes scheduled this week but I'm having a hard time getting motivated.

It's amazing how I can wile away the hours avoiding what I know I need to get done. I spent this morning on an astrological website determining that my true soul mate is Alexander Skarsgard, of True Blood fame. (Sorry, Vince.  It appears that I have a real love match thing going with AS...now, there is only the issue of meeting him, wooing him away from the hundreds of young, nubile beauties that doubtless follow him everywhere AND convincing him that he should fall for a middle-aged cougar - me! More fodder for work avoidance to be sure.)

If I was a baker, I'd toss out a recipe for Swedish Braided Bread or perhaps a Red Velvet Cake, in honor of AS. It would really bring the whole proofing reference home but alas I am brain dead and not feeling particularly motivated. 

I must refocus my efforts on Tapas and Moroccan foods!  So, here's a quicky tapa for anyone who feels more like sitting sitting in a warm place than cooking.

Fried Almonds with Rosemary
Adapted from “My Kitchen in Spain” by Janet Mendel

2 cups marcona almonds
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, coarsely chopped
sea salt to taste

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat.

Add the almonds and rosemary. Cook, stirring constantly, until they are fragrant and toasted, approximately 1 – 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and sprinkle with sea salt. Enjoy with a cold glass of dry sherry or white wine!


No comments:

Post a Comment